Call it Pasta Pie or Pasta Frittata. Either way, it’s a quick and delicious Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. The best part is, it utilizes leftover pasta. Add any ingredients you like for a simple and nutritious anytime meal.
Italiano Whole Wheat Pasta Pie
3 tbsps olive oil
8 eggs, beaten 6 sun dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped (i like the marinated kind)
1/4 c parsley, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 c left over whole wheat penne pasta (or any smaller cut pasta)
1/2 c mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1. Preheat oven to400 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine, eggs, sun dried tomatoes, parsley and salt and pepper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a 9-inch skillet over medium heat. Be sure to spread the olive oil to coat the bottom and sides of the pan evenly.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the eggs start to set around the edges but are still runny (about 2-3 minutes). Add in the cooked whole wheat penne and the mozzarella. Spread it out and try to nestle in into the eggs.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and place it in the oven for about 5-10 minutes or until the eggs appear set. After the eggs have set, put the oven on broil and broil for 1 minute or until golden brown. Allow the pie to cool slightly. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the pie from the pan. Invert to serve. Enjoy!
Mexican Tortilla Pie-Instead of using pasta, mozzarella, parsley and tomatoes, use rotisserie chicken, corn, cilantro and chopped up leftover tortillas for a Mexican spin on this tasty dish.